Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My New Church Calling is...



Two weeks ago on Sunday between Sunday School and Relief Society I was cornered by my 1st and 2nd Counselors, Bro. Sharp and Bro. Lewis. 
Our conversation went something like this:
Bro. Sharp: "So are you musically talented?"
Amanda: "If you are asking if I play the piano, the answer is no."
Bro. Lewis: "No."
Amanda: "If you're asking if I can sing, the answer is yes, I'm already in the choir."
Bro. Sharp: "No, Can you lead the Music?"
I answered, "Yes..."
Bro. Lewis: "Have you ever been in Primary?"
Amanda: "The more appropriate question should be have I ever really been a ward that has primary. And that answer is no."
Bro. Sharp: "Well, someone in the primary noticed you."
Bro. Lewis: "Are you diabetic? Do you want some chocolate?"

Which makes me wonder. Was it the Primary President? I kicked her son out of my Sunday School class 4 weeks ago! I don't know who else it would be...

Fast forward to Saturday evening around 3-3:30. My phone rang. It was Bishop Bushman.
This conversation when something like this:
Bishop: "Hello Sis. Ottley. How are you?"
Amanda: "Good Bishop. How are you?"
Bishop: "Good. So are you available to come see me tonight?"
Amanda: "Well, Bishop, No I'm in San Antonio."
Bishop: "Will you be back tomorrow?"
Amanda "Not until the evening."
Bishop: "So, do you think that it is ok to extend a calling over the phone?"
Amanda: "Well, Bishop, that's for you to say not me."
Bishop: "Well, We would like to release you from your current calling, and call you to be the primary chorister. What do you think about that?"
Amanda: "Really, I had no idea. Sure, I guess that would be fine."
Bishop: "Well, do you mind if we release and call you tomorrow?"
Amanda: "Even if I won't be there? Everyone will think that the calling has made me inactive!"
Bishop: "No, I will let them know that you are in San Antonio at a Single Adult Activity."
Amanda: "Well, If my apartment gets broken into I will know it was because you announced that I wasn't home at church!"

So, I guess I have been called. I haven't heard anything from anyone to say differently. Guess it is time to get cracking on the Primary Presentation!  It sounds like they haven't done much, just my luck!

4 comments:

Hallie Owens said...

You are awesome for taking the calling! You will be a relief to some primary president. In our branch we did it all, no chorister so I would just love you. Good luck with the program and use the Internet. Lots of good resources.

Anonymous said...

oh primary is so much fun. you should check out sugardoodle.net they have fun stuff for singing time sometimes.

April said...

That is awesome!!!! I love the 2 conversations...I'm sitting here laughing, especially at the breaking into your home part...too funny girl!!!

Adriane said...

Hey. I know I talk to you all the time. But, just wanted to let you know I started a blog. I don't know why, maybe I'm crazy. Actually, that's what it's called. "I must be crazy". Adriane