Monday, June 6, 2011

My 1 month anniversary! Of what you ask....

Today is my ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY of being unemployed!
And can I just say it seems so much longer than 1 month or 4 weeks or even 31 days. Now don't get me wrong, there are some definite perks!
  • I don't mind sleeping in until 7:30 or 8 in the morning. (1)
  • Nikki takes me for a walk/jog every morning with moments of franticly hunting for birds, rabbits, and the odd snake. (2)
  • I love spending time with my parents; Bob-O and Jan are "Super Cool Cats." It's nice to be with family.
  • Saving money! I save a ton on car maintenance: gas, oil changes, tune-up, what have you.
  • I have time to read!!! I have missed this aspect of my life.
  • I'm pretty much caught up on my Hulu queue.
  • I can stalk... I mean "follow" my friends on facebook.
  • I can work on some unfinished projects.

But, isn't there always a but! I feel like I am on a forced vacation I wasn't ready to take. There only seems to be uncertainty. I'm waiting, hoping, praying to be called up from Juniors (3), but until then LIMBO!

Unemployment was not my first choice as to a reason to relocate. As many of my friends and family know, I wanted to be closer. West Texas is just to far from them. When I was offered the job in Texas, I told Heavenly Father I could do anything for 2-3 years. After working there for about 2 years I started looking for jobs closer to home. I began looking into Grad Schools. At the 3 year mark I thought, "Well, I guess it's going to take a little bit longer than 3 years and I continued to search. Then at 3 years 3 months I was laid off. It was almost like Heavenly Father said, "You said 2-3 years. You haven't been able to find something on your own. So, here's a little jumpstart!" I truly believe that it is a blessing. But, there's that but again, it isn't easy! I have internal conflict.

The fun, easygoing part of me says: "Live it up! Who knows when you will be in a situation like this again! You have NO RESPONSIBLITIES, have fun! Go to Utah, go to California! You don't have anything else going on. You can apply for jobs online from anywhere!"

The practical part says: " You have bills to pay and unemployment will only go so far. You need to stay focused and work harder at finding a job. What are you going to do about Grad School? You know you need to go. Make a decision! Get in gear! You can't go on a trip you don't have an income!"

I try to have a schedule. I try not to sleep in too late. I try to keep myself busy. The activities that I do throughout the week are: walk Nikki, job search, waste time on faceboo, research masters programs, crafting, read, cook dinner 3 nights a week (4), play Wii/Wii yoga, got to the temple 1 to 2 times, go to church, and hang out with my parents. I do watch a bit of TV and Hulu. For 2 1/2 years I didn't have TV, now I find myself doing mindless watching while job searching! I have to do something so I don't fall asleep while filling out job application or searching another website for job openings.

Things are getting a tad bit boring. I hope I find a job soon!

______________________________________________________________________

1-In Midland I had to be up at 5am Monday-Thursday.

2-A couple of days ago, Nikki pulled a snake out of a hole in the green space. I was pretty big!

3-Juniors is the minor league of hockey

4-I made Stuffed Peppers for dinner last night. They were delish!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

I hope you find a job soon too! Glad you are enjoying your time with your parents. My house feels kind of empty without you around sometimes, though!