Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh yeah, I have a Blog!

Hello my few friends who may occasionally check my blog to see if I may have on the slim chance updated my blog. Guess what!?! Now don't have a heart attack, I'm BLOGGING! Shocker, I know.

As, some of you may know, recently upgraded and downsized my laptop to a netbook, the HP Mini. My previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron, was purchased with my tax refund in 2004! My Dell saw me through many a research paper, PowerPoint presentation, and Facebook time suckage. Over the past few years said Dell has had a few set backs. There was the virus-not sure if it was viral or bacterial, but Dell was never quite the same after that. I tried to help him out by upgrading his memory, but he still wasn't happy. Next I noticed that Dell was having a hard time getting up when it was time to get to work. I hope that by alleviating some of the burden on Dell's aging mother board I might get some more quality time out of him. So, I decided to remove as many unnecessary files and programs as I could. I stored all my school work, pictures, music, what have you on an external hard drive(a much needed backup) along with a more mobile option of 3, yes I said 3, flash drives. This is not to say that I have enough to fill up said flash drives but I have everything meticulously organized on them. One for pictures, one for undergraduate/misc school work, and the third for current work, church, and my random thoughts and ideas. Initially this idea was inspired! But in no time Dell was back to a FIFTEEN TO TWENTY MINUTE SNOOZE! I felt this was uncalled for! I don't even get such luxury.

With much reluctance I began to research my computer options. I really wanted a Macbook. But in this current economy I was not ready to go into so much debt for a new laptop. So, I look at other laptops. After 7 years of hauling Dell around on my back; through airport security, through the terminals, on airplanes, in cars, and all over the University of Utah, I decided I no longer wanted to carry around such weight and bulk! When what to my wondering eye should appear (oh yeah and the remembrance of a suggestion from the old man himself...no not Santa, my Dad) the Netbook! I didn't want to relive some of the mistakes I made with purchasing Dell. So I decided to custom build my netbook. And the HP Mini was the best option for the price. I upgraded to 2GB of memory with a faster processor, and the full Windows 7. And guess what, when I did my taxes this year I actually got some money back! Thanks to taking a class last year! And were did that money go toward you ask? My new HP Mini! I was able to cover about half of the cost.

I have had my Mini for about 2 weeks now and have thoroughly enjoyed the time we have spent together. It has been an adjustment to get use to a smaller screen and keyboard. The keyboard is only something like less than 5% smaller, but it still has taken some getting use to. I absolutely love how lightweight it is and the 10 HOUR battery! With this new technology I have reclaimed my desire for trying this blog thing again. I hope I can be more diligent about posting and maybe just maybe I will have a record of my goings on to share with the world! (or maybe just a few of you who I love and/or care about!)

My Mini


Oh, and check out my new background and fonts! I was playing around with blogspots new templates.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Love the new blog background! I am happy you have a smaller, better computer too. What did you do with the old one?

Hallie Owens said...

I am so glad you updated your blog. You are now at the top of the blog list. I really do like the blog changes as well. Good luck with your cute netbook. Let me know as soon as you get accepted to the U ;)