Saturday, June 20, 2009

And the rains came tumblin' down...and the floods came up!!

West Texas was once part of the Permian Basin. The basins of the area, the largest being the Midland Basin and the smallest being the Marfa Basin have since dried up and the area has become a desert. The forecast for this region generally calls for clear skies, with little to no precipitation. I learned recently that it is not considered hot in West Texas until the thermometer hits 100 degrees! This year, however, we have seen some uncharacteristic weather for the area. We have endured many rain, thunder, and hail storms along. Don't get me wrong I love the rain but I could live without another hail storm. (see previous post) Because it usually doesn't rain the ground and the drainage systems are not prepared for such an on slot of liquid. It is in this weather that makes me glad that I have my KIA and not my previous vehicles, a Honda Civic or a Volkswagen Jetta! Here are a few pictures I took while I was out yesterday.



Disclaimer: All of the pictures where taken while stopped at a red light or when parked on the side of the road. No dangerous maneuvers were taken during taking of pictures.

2 comments:

Adriane said...

You should've come and gotten a picture outside of my house. Our street turns into a river. Shaylee was swimming! in it yesterday.

Jenna said...

That is crazy! It's been raining here in Utah a ton too, but not like that. I loved your disclaimer by the way--very funny. :)